Today, we chat about our delicious Mallorcan almond cake recipe that you can try back home, if you time does not allow you to experiment and enjoy, whilst staying in one of The Best Villas beautiful villas.
Referred to as Gato d Ametlla some critics say its recipe is part French?, however, it is also believed to have actually originated in Valldemossa, famously known for the fact Chopin and George Sand spent a winter together there.
I have personally tried this recipe and can vouch in personal opinion, its the best yet!! so come on try it…. also! you will notice there is no flour used, making this cake, except for preparing the pan.
INGREDIENTS/ SERVES 8
- Unsalted butter and all purpose flour for preparing pan
- 8 eggs separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 2 cups coarsely ground BLANCHED ALMONDS
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Butter 11 inch round cake pan with 2 inch sides then dust with flour shaking any excess.
- In large bowl combine egg yolks and sugar and whisk together until smooth and foamy. Add lemon zest, cinnamon and vanilla, mix well.
- Add ground almonds slowly a little at a time, mixing well after each addition to incorporate the almonds fully.
- Using a whisk or handheld mixer, beat in the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Scoop approx. one/third of the whites onto the egg yolk mixture and using a rubber spatula, fold them in, to lighten the mixture. Then add the remaining white and fold them in GENTLY and thoroughly, deflating the batter as little as possible.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared floured pan.
- Bake the cake for about 30 mins or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and holding the case approx. 6 inches ABOVE the countertop, DROP the pan onto the counter. This simple technique of dropping action shocks the cake, resulting easier to remove from the pan.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack and let cool in the pan until warm. Run a knife around the inside of the pan to loosen the cake sides, invert the cake onto the rack and lift off the pan.
- Place cake upright on serving plate.
Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream, is a nice way to enjoy. A delicious traditional almond cake from Mallorca to remind you of your wonderful holidays with us, and allows you to have a taste of Mallorca in your own kitchen back home!
YUM YUM! from all the team at The Best Villas Pollensa and the beautiful Island of Mallorca.
Wishing you all a pleasant day
THE BEST VILLAS POLLENSA